Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Week 2 - Where the Hell Do I Start?



In completing the two sections,  I learned about myself and the online teaching methods I would apply in designing and teaching a course via Internet. From the Beginner's Questionaire, I scored a 14, which points that I have a more presentation, demonstration, and modeling style of teaching. I would see myself using recorded lectures and uploading clips/video for students to relate to and have access to for resources.

As far as, Getting Started Chart I would find myself in the stage of "How I would like to teach" and lean towards a blended style by using both lecture and discussion to keep students engage in this online community. Reading the text, I found that planning and structuring the course is a great takeaway from Chapter 1 and the instructor as well as the student has to consider with dealing with an online course.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Eric! I can totally relate to your teaching style. Only by experience have I learned how important it is to have students engage through discussion as well. Online courses can sometimes be too convenient as students only participate as required. Discussion boards allow faculty to monitor and encourage success in the course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about planning...you know what that say: "Fail to plan, plan to fail." I like your blog. I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your idea that teaching should include presentation, demonstration, and modeling. Pretty much like the scaffolding we talked about in constructivist’s view of learning and teaching. The reason a teacher is called teacher is partly because he/she could exemplify and model what students haven’t acquired and mastered, this saves/omits the potential mistakes and errors student would make, therefore makes teaching relatively effective and learning more engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your reactions to the chapter. I wondered what you meant by "deal with the course." Is an interesting idea...

    ReplyDelete