Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Week 5 - The Legal Contract

The syllabus is the document students and professors refer to the most throughout the course to make sure the goals and objectives are covered efficiently and effectively. Additionally, the syllabus is the foundation of how the course will go from start to finish and use the document as guide for the course.

  • From the text, Ko and Rossen do a great job implying and signaling out how important it is for professors to create a detailed play-by-play syllabus. I did like the use of metaphors that the authors use referring to the syllabus as the "map" and "contract" throughout Chapter 5.
  • Explicit and concrete details are important. I am a detail oriented person and would like to see everything in front of me. I understand the big picture individuals but at the same time defining and describing the picture into details are important when designing a syllabus in my opinion.
  • I value the checklist for an online syllabus in the textbook that would help guide me the right direction in creating a solid syllabus (Reference page 123 under "The Schedule" section)
  • I feel that incorporating an interactive syllabus would be beneficial to the students and give the participants the opportunity to understand the document thoroughly. In designing the class, I would have a welcome/introduction video for the students to use and refer to for further explanation of the syllabus, then move to a discussion chat to answer another questions, make changes to the contract, and clarifying points about the course/syllabus.    

6 comments:

  1. Eric,

    Great ideas! Along with a Q&A discussion to clarify any questions about the syllabus, you might also consider giving a quiz that covers concepts from the syllabus.

    Ty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always did a first day walk-through the syllabus in class. A video would probably be a good way to do that online. An FAQ might be a good idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I mentioned in my framing of this week's discussion, I am not on the same page as our authors. I do not think the syllabus is a contract (it certainly is not legally), and I do not think contract thinking generates the sense of enthusiasm, connection, and commitment we really want to see in our classes. So when I read that someone wants to add a video to their syllabus, I think right on--that's a first step to introducing some connection and humanity into both your class and your syllabus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eric, agree that the syllabus needs to be as clear as possible on what to expect but can it go too far and create a sense of learning as a commodity? Our college was sued by a student because she wasn't hired in the trade she studied for immediately upon graduation. I worry that the syllabus could be read as a guarantee of product performance when, as Jim suggests, education is a cooperative effort with shared responsibilities. Wonder if we need to go back to secondary school and give a manditory course in what to expect from College/University?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eric, I like the idea of a video intro. May adopt that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Major, I would help you create one and edit it if you decide to use the video intro.

      Delete